The Road Less Traveled

So many times, educators' efforts are geared towards getting students college ready because we know that this has been declared the industry standard of excellence for schools. However, now there is a new line of thinking that challenges this notion by asking what does post secondary success really looks like?

As a principal and a mom of four, it has just been assumed that all of my kids would attend college, obtain a degree, and move on to bigger and better things that don’t require my financial assistance. In fact, my sons have already started this path and have completed their junior and freshman years of college at Wichita State University.

Life was going as planned.

On Memorial Day, Camren, my 19-year-old son, came to my husband and I and told us that he wanted to join the Air National Guard. He said that he didn’t like taking classes that were not in his field of interest and he felt restless and wanted to take an alternative path. He then explained that he was confident he would test well and qualify for a path in computer science through the ANG. He continued with all of the pros for this decision and it was clear that he had done his research and that this was something he had truly thought about for awhile.

David and I’s initial reaction was shock. Here is a kid who graduated high school with a 3.6 GPA, a composite score of 28 on his ACT, and who had scholarship offers telling us he didn’t want to go to college at this time. This was our kid who made school and testing look like a breeze. This was our kid who just “got” whatever you put in front of him at school. This was not our kid who we thought would take a alternative route.

Even so, as he talked with us, I have to admit that I had never seen Camren more motivated or excited about the possibilities. All I could do is look at my husband and say, “He’s 19 years old. It’s his choice. All we can do is support him.”


I know I’ve preached this to anyone that would hear it for the past couple of years, but success isn’t just a 4-year degree. Success is knowing what you want and taking a road that is meaningful for you. As I watch Camren do his research and prepare for what’s ahead, I can’t help but be proud of him. He’s engaged in his path and it’s breathtaking to watch.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.