Fall Means New Beginnings with a New Purpose



A Quick Note From Me:

It's been so long since I've blogged, but I got hit with inspiration the other day. Usually, my blogs are emotionally driven and I have a lot to write about a particular subject. This time, I'm doing a little of this and a little of that with my typical emotion finding its place. I hope what I share brings value to you and your leadership in the classroom, at the building level, or at the district office!.


What I’ve learned from the last week: 

Me: What’s the difference between trying to control something and doing what needs to be done? (COVID related operations for school)

Counselor: Where you carry it. If it’s in your body, that’s you trying to control the uncontrollable. If it’s doing what needs to be done, it’s simply a checklist in your mind.

Me: Well, damn.  So this is why my shoulders are always tight! 🤪I’m doing it all wrong. 🤯Tips and Tricks



Tips & Tricks:

“Are you helping or are you hurting? Be a helper.”

In 2014, this became my one and only “rule” in my classroom.

As I became a principal, I kept it. I love that it applies to all areas of life and it’s not so much a rule as it is a way to check in with your words and actions. In fact, after teaching this saying, I can usually just ask if they are helping and they self-correct. I know I sure need to hear it from time to time.




Kids Say the Darndest Things!

Kindergarten funny: “So, as we are working on an Alphabet presentation, a little girl raised her hand and asked me to help her find elimino.  Confused, I asked her to say that again.  She said, "I'm on K and I can't find elimino."  CUTE!!!



Counselor Corner: : 

Educators are responding to a hidden threat during COVID. They are in fight, flight or freeze most of the day trying to keep the kids and themselves safe. This is a steady dose of trauma. ---Counselor Emily



Articles I loved: 

What Teachers Want From Their Leaders Right Now: 

Principals Here’s What Teachers Want You to Know But Feel Like They Can’t Say


Great Words of Advice:



What’ I’m reading or listening to:


No Ego: How Leaders Can Cut the Cost of Workplace Drama, End Entitlement, and Drive Big Results by Cy Wakeman

No Ego disposes with unproven HR maxims and instead offers a complete plan to turn your office from a den of discontent to a happy, productive place.



Who To Follow on Twitter:

Danny Steele: @Steelethoughts

Liz Garden: @PrincipalGarden

Hamish Brewer: @brewerhm

Jessica Gomex: @mrsjessgomez


No comments

Powered by Blogger.